First of all, what is Shockwave therapy?
Shockwave therapy is a non-surgical treatment used for treating painful conditions in tendons and other soft tissues. It is a safe and effective treatment option for acute, subacute and chronic injuries. Results are usually seen within 24 hours after treatment. At Stepaside Physiotherapy we use the latest state of the art Storz Medical MP50 Radial Shockwave Therapy machines
This type of treatment is currently used in Physiotherapy Sports Medicine, Orthopedics, Urology and Veterinary Medicine.
How successful is Shockwave therapy?
So, Shockwave therapy relieves pain in 90% of people that adhere to the rehab program.
Pain reduction can be seen after 24 hours.
10% of people do not imrpove from shockwave treatment due other complications such as tendon tears that require further medical intervention.
What symptoms will shockwave
therapy work on?
- If you have pain in a joint or area in themorning time which then loosens up after a few mins or an hour.
- If you have intial pain running, which then loosens up after few minutes but increases when you stop running
- Pain persisting beyond normal healing times (6-8 weeks)
- Pain has failed to resolve with normal physiotherapy intervention
What injuries can Shockwave Therapy be used on?
- Tennis Elbow (Pain outside of elbow)
- Plantar fasciitis (pain in heel)
- Shoulder pain (pain moving shoulder over head)
- Rotator Cuff inflammation
- Glenohumeral Bursitis (pain referring down arm)
- Trochanteric Bursitis (pain referring into outside of hip)
- Hamstring Tendinopathy (pain running in hamstring)
- Groin pain ( pain twisting and turning during sport)
- Adductor-related groin pain (pain in groin region during or after sport)
- Iliopsoas related groin pain ( anterior hip pain )
- Patellofemoral pain ( knee pain running or jumping, or on stairs)
- Achilles Tendon pain (pain running, in morning or after walking)
How does shockwave therapy work?
The acoustic wave energy is transmitted
via compressed air into the tissues. This energy promotes tissue regeneration of bones tendons and other soft tissues, leading to faster healing times.
This results in the following:
- New blood vessel formation
- Stimulation of collagen production
- Reduction in chronic inflammatory markers
- Breakdown of calcified tendons
- Dispersion of painful chemicals (Substance P)
- The release of trigger points
All of these support the body’s natural healing mechanism, resulting in pain reduction and improved rehab outcomes.
Is Shockwave Therapy painful?
No. Shockwave therapy is a safe and non-painful treatment option.
Who cannot avail of Shockwave Therapy?
Shockwave therapy is unsuitable in the following circumstances:
- Pregnant Mothers
- Blood clotting disorder (including thrombosis)
- Oral anticoagulants
- If you have received a steroid injection within 6 weeks
- Pacemaker fitted
- Presence of a tumor
- If you have an infection or skin abrasion at the treatment site
- If you are under 18 (except in the treatment of Osgood-Schlatter disease)
Will I be in pain after treatment?
You generally experience a reduction in pain after treatment, but you may experience a dull, diffuse pain up to 24 hours after treatment.
How many treatments will I need?
Generally, 3-4 treatments will reduce the most stubborn chronic pain, over a period of 5 to 6 weeks. Shockwave therapy works best with rehab exercises so the dysfunctional tissue repairs itself correctly over the coming weeks. Your therapist will advise you on treatment outcomes once you are assessed.
We only use the best and latest cutting edge technology here at Stepaside Physio.
Below is a link to the Equipment we use to deliver your shockwave therapy.
If you wish to check out some of the scietific evidence for this treatment please follow this link below