Deep tissue massage
What is deep tissue massage
Deep tissue massage is where the a therapist applies substantial pressure to release chronically tense muscles in the body.
The body is made up of the skeleton and layers of muscles. Sometime muscles that are not close to the surface of the skin become tense and cause pain. Manipulation of the deeper layers of the muscle called fascia help release tension and improve a persons mood byt the release of a “happy Hormon” called serotonin.
What are the benefits of deep tissue massage?
- Increased blood flow
- Reduced muscle tension
- Increased energy
- Improved sporting performance
- Desensitised muscles and fascial tissues
Does deep tissue work on scar tissue?
There is common misconception about scar tissues and deep tissue massage. Many believe a deep tissue massage will break up scar tissue. This is not true. It does however desensitised the scar tissue which is causing the nerve ending to fire, thus resulting in pain.
Desensitisation of these tissues help reduce muscle tension around the scar site and restore normal functioning of the muscle and fascial tissue.
Who can have deep tissue massage.
There are some complication with deep tissue massage for the following class of people
- People on long term blood thinners- Lighter massage would be more suitable
- People who suffer from lymphoedema- Lighter massage more suitable
- People undergoing radial or chemotherapy – lighter massage more suitable due to higher sensitivity to pain
- Those at risk of blood clots
For this reason we do not advised deep tissue massage for these clients
There are no other adverse effect on any other type of patient
If you would like to find out more about our services
Please call 087 2740700
Or email email@example.com